Monday, February 14, 2011

Do You Believe in Miracles??


 A Miracle is defined as: "an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause." and "such an effect or event manifesting or considered as a work of God." A supernatural cause? A work of God? Can miracles REALLY happen? Are miracles real? 
Many skeptics say no. They feel the need and the "duty" to explain away the wonders of "accidents" and "coincidences".   Whats so hard to have faith in something more than yourself?  How lonely it must be to have no one and nothing to lean on, look toward, or have faith in, when you're in need. Sometimes, all we have is faith. During one of the most emotionally ravaging times in my life, all I had was faith. I lived each day by the verse: "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1) Ironically, I recently found a canvas tote bag with that saying printed on it and of course bought it. 
I believe in miracles. And maybe I personally wouldn't use the term "supernatural cause", but I would use the term "a work of God". I feel a miracle took place when my daughter was declared in remission from kidney disease. A disease that has no known cause and no known cure. And it's a shot in the dark if the method of treatment will even work. Each patient responds differently. Some respond well, others do not respond at all. My daughter responded well and right away.  After a few months of treatment, she was placed in remission status. It was a frightening and exciting experience. The doctors were optimistic but told me not to get my hoped up too high - 97% of all cases relapse. There is that small 3% that remain in remission and are considered cured after 10 years relapse-free. But they've personally never had a patient that that happen to. So we waited. And I continued to pray and I continued to cry and every night in bed, I begged God to cure my daughter. I even tried bargaining with him - my life for her's. I didn't care what ailment or hardship he placed upon me, just save my child. 
After a few weeks, we went back for a check up - good news, she was still in remission. We continued this same pattern every month. A year after she entered remission, we had the option to move back home to another state. My only hesitation was leaving her nephrologist. He was wonderful. He was my strength, my assurance and my support during it all. I had his email and his cell phone if I ever needed him. Even if it was for help to walk me through my fear and healing. I felt my lifeline to her wellness broken if we moved away. But we took the step anyway.
Back at home in Pennsylvania, the doctors at CHOP were shocked at her status. They never treated a child in that coveted 3% either. The doctor there said to me, "You do understand how rare that is?" I said, "Yes I do." It is coming up on her 2 yr. remission anniversary in a few months and she is doing awesome! 
I think back to that dr.'s comment - "You do understand how rare that is?" and have to wonder, is is rare when you have God on your side? Is her continued medical success a "miracle" - an act of God? I would say it is. 
But now I also think..... did God accept my offer? My life for my daughters? If so, I'll know when my test results come back. If so, I would do it again. Any day and any one of my children. I would give my life to save theirs. I personally don't believe God bargains for miracles. But I do believe God expects you to keep your word. After all, He kept His word to me -"During your times of trial and suffering when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Footprints
One night a man had a dream. He dreamed He was walking along the beach with the LORD. Across the sky flashed scenes from His life. For each scene He noticed two sets of footprints in the sand. One belonging to Him and the other to the LORD.

When the last scene of His life flashed before Him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand. He noticed that many times along the path of His life there was only one set of footprints. He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times of His life.

This really bothered Him and He questioned the LORD about it. LORD you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me.

The LORD replied, my precious, precious child, I Love you and I would never leave you! During your times of trial and suffering when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.



So what about you?? Do you believe in miracles? Have you experienced one? Or can it all be explained away?

**Please take the time to click the "follow" button so you don't miss out on any great deals, articles and more!!** 

No comments:

Post a Comment